CHRISTMAS DAY pub openings are often local secrets, but happily for you, Loving Dalston leaks like the magnum of champagne knocked over in the office a few days ago. Here is an exclusive list of Hackney-and-around Chrissie Day-opening pubs, far from comprehensive, admittedly, because the info is not easy to obtain.
As the list did last year, it will grow over the next few days.
* Albion, 94 Goldsmith’s Row, E2 8QY (just N of Haggerston City Farm), noon-3pm;
* Brewery Tap, 525 Kingsland Rd, Dalston E8 4AR, noon-3pm. To enquire about a late-ending evening session, try phoning 020 7254 1116;
* Dove, 24-28 Broadway Market, Hackney E8 4QJ (0872 148 0809), noon-3pm;
* Duke of Wellington, Stonebridge Common, crnr Haggerston and Mayfield roads, Dalston E8 4DA, noon-4pm/5pm (NB, this is not the Balls Pond Rd “Wellie”);
* Jolly Butchers, 204 Stoke Newington High Street, Lon N16 7HU, noon-3pm. The pub wants you to know it is open on Boxing Day, noon-midnight (food ends at 8pm);
* Marksman, 254 Hackney Rd, Bethnal Green E2 7SJ, 11am-3pm. Fully booked for food;
* Old Ship, 2 Sylvester Path, Mare St E8Q 1EN (020 8986 1641), and tiny entrance nr Hackney Empire, noon-4pm;
* Palm Tree, 127 Grove Road E3 5BH, noon-3pm. Ideally approached via the Grand Union Canal towpath;
* Perseverance, pictured above, 112 Pritchards Rd (just below Broadway Market), Hackney E2 9AP (020 7613 3498), noon-2.30pm;
* Royal Sovereign, 64 Northwold Road, Clapton E5 8RL (020 8806 2449), noon-2pm;
* JD Wetherspoon, 282-284 Mare St, Hackney E8 1HE, noon-3pm.
David Altheer 181212
* For the 2014 list press this link.
* Publicans advise that opening times may be amended, depending on customer numbers and staff hangovers. If you are leaving London around Christmas (apparently, it happens) you might find an opener via British Pubs.
* Emboldened words in Loving Dalston articles usually indicate a hyperlink.