WITHIN A FEW YEARS social media will seem an old term. Right now it’s hot – and creative Hackney has devised a way to connect it to what makes northeast London the place for artistic innovation.
The project is called Hackney Live, and a pilot was held last year. By livestreaming, claim organisers, it reached viewers in more than 20 countries.
The producers say that most of the viewers had never before seen a live stream. If the promo video is any guide, those watching Hackney Live 2013 may have wondered why they were: it starts with some obvious script-reading, followed by a list of Oscars-like thank-yous delivered far too early and lots of dancing that needed more rehearsal.
Such initial uncertainty will eventually be resolved because Hackney and Stratford are rich in young talent and several arts bodies are giving commendable amounts of funding to Hackney Live 2014. You can see:
* Mimbre, an acrobatic theatre company, producing Time, which uses acrobatics and animation by d director Magali Charrier to ask: “What is time?” (No, “2.15pm” is not the answer).
Mimbre wants your comments via Instagram, YouTube and Vine. The best ideas, says Charrier, will influence the development of a piece for national touring.
* Arcola Youth Theatre staging an interactive performance with a large cast. Viewers and performers will explore the relationship between performer and audience, “posing questions to the physical audience, plus those watching in two public screenings and on line”.
* Stratford- based East London Dance presenting Dance Unleashed in a chat-show format that spotlights the wealth of dance talent in Hackney and discusses how to get involved. People in the audience, says ELD, will be invited to show their artistic side, to be part of what will be created live.
Risky, energetic, exciting… it’s likely to be all of these things: a disaster or a triumph. You’re just going to have to livestream it.
Hamish Scott 070214
* Hackney Live 2014 will be blogged at hackneylive.co.uk: Mimbre, Thurs 13 Feb 2014, 6pm; Arcola, Sun 23 Feb 2014, 3pm; ELD, Tues 25 Feb 2014, 7pm. Pictured at top: dance talent shows early in Hackney, as these children in the 2010 Hackney Carnival.
* Emboldened underscored words in most cases indicate a hyperlink, a reader service rare among websites. If a link does not work, it is probably because the site to which the URL refers has not been maintained.