* The emails for the giveaway mentioned at the end of this article have arrived and the first in the Loving Dalston basket has come from Catherine McGowan.
CAN SOMETHING called the Arcelor Mittal Orbit ever be hot? Not with a moniker like that, I hear you shout with one voice.
The beneficial spin-off for the public is that all involved have to make an extra effort to get northeast Londoners to like the product. So Orbit Lates have been organised, starting with a night including a licensed bar and hot meals and what the music promoter describes as “new music and musicians with influences ranging from Tarkovsky’s Solaris to Sun Ra”.
New? Well, bear in mind, the same person probably thought that the name he/she chose for the event, Space in this Place, is new.
DJ Food will be playing, along with some live music. It’s your chance to step into the Orbit’s 2,000 tonnes of steel – and get high. The Anish Kapoor–Cecil Balmond sculpture (their word) rises 80m into the Stratford air to give a great night view, pictured, of the lights of this great city. What did you think I meant by “high”?
* Friday 8 August 2014, tickets £20
A week later the Orbit Late will be a silent disco. Revellers text requests to the DJ and mix their own playlist at the top of the UK’s tallest sculpture.
* Friday 15 August 2014, tickets £17.50, over-18s only
Potentially the most exciting Orbit Late is the East London Radio launch party. This social enterprise, run by volunteers aged 12 to 71, will broadcast live DJ sets from the top of the Orbit.
Hamish Scott 3107014
* Friday 22 August 2014, tickets £17.50, over-18s only.
* Loving Dalston will give away a set of double tickets for one of the above to the first email to arrive on Friday 8 August 2014 with first name and surname and a contact phone number to editor[at]lovingdalston.co.uk (use the at symbol). Put GIVEAWAY in the subject field. In the interest of openness, the name will be published on this and possibly the Arcelor Mittal Orbit site.
* The first email came from Catherine McGowan, who will receive the two tickets.
* Orbit Lates for over-18s only, Olympic Park, Stratford E20 2ST, will run from 7pm-midnight. Tickets: online, phone (0333 800 8099), the ticket office at the base of the structure.
* Disabled access: the venue says it is “completely” wheelchair-accessible, that assistance dogs are welcome and that a disabled visitor-companion is admitted free. Hearing-induction loops at key points.