EVERY YEAR this site publishes a guide to Christmas Day pub openings in and around Hackney. Posted for several years, it has so far been exclusive, if not comprehensive.
A few pubs have dropped out since last year 2014 because sales have not justified the costs; others have decided to try opening. Some pubs have found that food is the key.
Do not, however, expect to turn up on the day and be able to take a seat for a three-course meal. The sessions will have been booked out weeks ago.
Choose a pub close to home. Ours may be World City No 1 but it runs no public transport on the great festive holiday:
* Alma, 159 Newington Green Road, London N1 4QU (020 7226 3531), noon-10pm. Mixture of British menus, mismatched furniture and Maori artworks
* Marksman, 254 Hackney Road E2 7SJ (0207 739 7393), 11am-3pm. Gastropub
* Palm Tree, 127 Grove Road E3 5BH (8980 2918), noon-3.30pm. Ideally approached on foot or bicycle via the towpath by the canal (which may be drained for cleaning)
* Perseverance, 112 Pritchards Road, Hackney E2 9AP, noon-3pm (020 76133498). Within metres of hipster home Broadway Market, yet in its own world, the Percy has an outdoors heated rear garden and offers a good alternative to the market pub the Dove, which is not opening this Christmas 2015
* Prince Arthur, 95 Forest Road Dalson E8 3BH (0207 249 9996). Doors will not be locked for its booked-out Christmas lunch: ask politely and you might be allowed in for drinks only
* Royal Sovereign, 64 Northwold Road, Clapton E5 8RL (0208806 2449), noon-2pm
* JD Wetherspoon, 282 Mare Street, Hackney E8 1HE, noon-3pm. Good range of craft beers in spacious interior, usually male-dominated. Foyer smoking area, heated roof terrace.
The list has grown since this was first published. If you want your pub to be added to the list, email me at editor[at]lovingdalston.co.uk, substituting @ for [at] and sending the necessary details and no more, not even a picture.
David Altheer 091215
* Backstory: Christmas Day pubs 2014
* All pictures on this page © DavidAltheer[at]gmail.com. All for sale for reproduction.
* Emboldened underscored words in most cases indicate a hyperlink. If a link does not work, it is probably because the site to which the URL refers has not been maintained.