VALENTINES DAY nears – it’s next Tuesday, 14 February 2012. As well as sending an anonymous romantic card – although not so anon that the object of your affection cannot make a good attempt at identifying the sender – there are other moves you can make.
You could take the desired one out for a classy cocktail. Hmmm, that would be costly. But wait, Loving Dalston has resourcefully obtained the recipe of one of the most turny-onny drinks in town (at least, that’s what the PR woman implied).
It’s called A Pink Peck On The Cheek (no further detail will b given, thank you) and here’s how to make it. Best do a practice run before you present this concoction (see picture) to the loved one:
You’ll need a two-part steel shaker, muddler, 25ml jigger, hawthorn strainer, tea-strainer, channel cutter, coupette glass [Who has this kind of stuff at home? – Ed.]
1) Slice a 2.5cm section lengthways, about halfway down the chilli, leaving a small “hook” to allow it to balance on the side of the coupette. Slice the piece of chilli you’ve removed and add to the shaker. Also prepare the lime spiral for the garnish using the channel cutter.
2) Slice the strawberry into 2 or 3 pieces, add to the shaker and muddle together with the chilli.
3) Add the marmalade, rum and vermouth to the shaker, top with cubed ice and shake hard for five to seven seconds.
4) Fine-strain into the coupette, checking for any pieces of chilli that may have missed the strainer.
5) Add the chilli and lime spiral for the garnish and serve.
[What, can’t you find any real stories? – Ed.]
[Is there no romance in your soul? – The reporter]
[Soul? Me? – Ed.]