THE CLAIM that to prevent an exodus of talent to other operations if not abroad you need to pay big money – more, say, than Prime Minister “Dave” Cameron’s £142,500 a year – seems to have, uhm, currency, at Hackney council.
Loving Dalston traditionally reveals the winning salaries of jobs at Hackney town hall, pictured above, every summer and here they are, the Super Seven for 2013-14, including the employer’s pension contribution:
* Chief executive Tim Shields £207,083. Don’t be too hard on him: he’s had no rise since 2010-11
* Corporate director of young people services £168,799
* Corporate director of legal and democratic services £168,602
* Corporate director of health £162,199
* Corporate director of finance £158,694
* Assistant chief executive of policy £114,025
* Assistant chief executive of projects £107,890.
In the same financial year 86 people were made redundant (paid off) from the council and 56 from the schools – not the academies, which are independent of Hackney council – that it still controls.
David Altheer 300813
* Emboldened underscored words in most cases indicate a hyperlink, a reader service rare among websites. If a link does not work, it is probably because the site to which the URL refers has not been maintained.