PERHAPS THIS PICTURE will inspire you to pimp your two-wheeler for Hackney council’s Christmas Cycle Sparkle contest.
On the other hand, when you read of the prizes you might lose interest (which would leave the way clear for the ageing roadster, soon to be festooned with last year’s fading Chrissie ribbons and paper decorations, on which Loving Dalston aims to ride away with a prize).
The prizes for the best-decorated bike are:
* sparkliest decorations: a waterproof jacket;
* brightest star under-12: a child-suitable bicycle;
* Most festive decorations and/or fancy dress: lights (unspecified).
Not impressive, eh? So to avoid embarrassing the local businesses that donated them, no names will be mentioned here. The firms must be feeling the pressure of the economic downturn.
The council press-released: “Don [yes, really, it said ‘Don’] your (at least it didn’t say ‘ye’] brightest fancy-dress or festive outfit, or light up yourself and
your bike, and come along to Hackney Town Hall Square for the borough’s official lights switch-on on Saturday 29 November 2014.”
Register in the square between 4pm and 4.45pm.
Neighbourhoods councillor Feryal Demirci said in the press release: “Not only do we look forward to seeing the borough sparkle with Christmas lights, we also want to see our cyclists sparkling on the roads.”
Hmmm, not sure she quite means that.
Hamish Scott 181114
* All Cycle Sparkle entries on Sat 29 Nov 2014 must include a road-legal bicycle with a white light on the front and a red light at the back. Under-18s must have a parent or guardian with them.
* Emboldened underscored words in most cases indicate a hyperlink, a reader service rare among websites. If a link does not work, it is probably because the site to which the URL refers has not been maintained.