CHRISTMAS DAY pub openings can be hard to find out about. Happily for you, Loving Dalston has for several years been compiling a list of Hackney-and-around Chrissie Day-opening pubs.
It is not comprehensive, because the info is in many cases obtained by personal visits, which can lead to schedule slippage.
Do not turn up expecting a Christmas dinner without booking. Pubs that offer it find that capacity fills weeks in advance.
The list is liable to grow: it is worth checking again.
* Alma, 59 Newington Green Road N1 4QU (0203 620 7516), noon-10.30pm
* The Dove, 24 Broadway Market E8 4QJ (0207 275 7617), noon-6. Fine ales. Meals all pre-booked;
* Duke Of Wellington (not the Balls Pond Road pub of same name), Stonebridge Common, Haggerston and Mayfield roads, Haggerston E8 4EP (0207 254 2556), noon-3pm. Almost a Hackney secret, this Cockney-hipster boozer;
* Jolly Butchers, 204 Stoke Newington High Street, Lon N16 7HU (020 7249 9471), noon-3pm;
* Narrowboat, 119 St Peter’s Street, Islington N1 8PZ (020 7400 6003), noon-5pm. Upscale. Accessible via Regent’s Canal;
* Old Ship, 2 Sylvester Path, Mare St E8Q 1EN (020 8986 2732), and tiny entrance several metres north of Hackney Empire doors, noon-5.30pm;
* Palm Tree, 127 Grove Road E3 5BH (8980 2918), noon-3.30pm. Ideally approached via the Grand Union Canal towpath;
* Royal Sovereign, 64 Northwold Road, Clapton E5 8RL (0208 806 2449), noon-2pm;
* Town of Ramsgate, 62 Wapping High Street E1W 2PN ( 020 7481 8000), noon-3pm. Says it’s the oldest pub on the Thames. Centuries ago Wapping was known for “cutpurses, cheapjacks and whoores”, and more recently the journalists of News International. Don’t say “No change there, then.” That’s my former workplace.
* Wenlock Arms, 26 Wenlock Road, Hoxton N1 7TA (0871 951 1000), noon-3pm;
* Wetherspoon, 282-284 Mare Street, Hackney E8 1HE (020 8525 9010), noon-4pm.
David Altheer 161214
* Main picture: Mine host Andrew Crump runs Molly Bloom’s, the name-changing pub just south of the Kingsland Road junction
* Backstory: How Hackney rates in 2014 Good Pub Guide
* Emboldened underscored words in most cases indicate a hyperlink, a reader service rare among websites. If a link does not work, it is probably because the site to which the URL refers has not been maintained.