* UPDATE: 100616: Huseyin Akkoyun was due to appear in Thames Magistrates Court today Friday 10 June 2016 charged with the murder of father-of-two Mehmet Degerli.
* UPDATE: 120616 11am: Mustafa Alparslan, 20, of Remington Road, Hackney, has also been charged with Mehmet Degerli’s murder and is due to appear at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Monday 13 June 2016
HACKNEY POLICE are questioning a 46-year-old they arrested after realising that a man found dead in Dalston had been assaulted.
They initially described the death of Mehmet Degerli, 49, dry-cleaner, of Stoke Newington, in the Mountford Estate car park in Sandringham Road, as “unexplained”.
Hackney police and ambulance were called to the car park on Wednesday, 8 June 2016, just after 1am. They indicated they expected no surprises from the coroner’s enquiry.
Now a Metropolitan Police press statement says the victim “suffered injuries consistent with an assault”. The Met expects this to be confirmed by the post-mortem taking place today, Thursday 9 June 2016.
Detective Chief Inspector Rob Pack said the Homicide and Major Crime Command believed Dergerli to have been the victim of “a violent assault”.
His body was close to the junction of Sandringham and Cecilia roads E8 2LL, where cars and pedestrians were likely to have been about.
The area was overlooked by numerous houses and flats. “Were you driving through and saw a fight?” Inspector Pack asked. “Do you live locally and heard or saw anything that you think is connected?”
Dergerli’s car, parked in “Sandy” Road, had been damaged. Inspector Pack said: “Did you see anyone interfering with any vehicles in that area? Or anyone hanging around at that time either on foot or in a car?”
A forensics team spent hours combing the area. Still, relatives will want to be assured, given the police’s initial apparent failure to notice injuries from “a violent assault”, that no clues were missed because of a time delay.
* Information? Phone the incident room on (020 8345 3985) or Crimestoppers (0800 555 111) anonymously.
IN NEWHAM, a man, 31, was shot in Beatrice Close, Plaistow E13, with an automatic weapon yesterday Thursday 9 June 2016, just after 11pm. Police police are seeking a man, aged 30 to 40, of large build, Asian appearance, and wearing a grey hoodie.
More than a dozen bullets are believed to have been fired. Trident officers are investigating.
The victim is in hospital in a critical condition.
* Information? Contact Trident officers via 101. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers (0800 555 111).
David Altheer 080616
* Location pix © DavidAltheer [at] gmail.com. Condolences to family and friends of the deceased.
* Emboldened underscored words in most cases indicate a hyperlink, a service rare among websites. If a link does not work, it is probably because the site to which the URL refers has not been maintained.