DELIVEROO, standby of many a time-pressed Londoner, has come up with a neat promotion: restaurant awards.
What’s new about that? Little, it’s true, but a few categories, such as
* most Instagrammable dish
* best pop-up to prime time
* best eco-friendly
tap into the fun mood of the times (OK, the zeitgeist).
The idea is that the public vote on nominations — don’t rush your dinner because you’re too late: voting ends tomorrow — and three Dalston restos have made the short list:
* Mildreds, near Dalston Square E8 3GU — best vegan offering
* Chick ’n’ Sours, Kingsland Road E8 4AA — most innovative dish (its cucumbers)
* Nanny Bills, an ex-residency at Farr’s School of Dancing Dalston
Lane E8 3DF — most Instagrammable dish (its Dalston dip).
Deliveroo is talking about giving some business and marketing “support” to restaurants that come out on top. No details given to the press, but meaningful support — in cash, preferably — is what every eatery in Hackney needs in these times of high costs and de-emigrating waiters and cooks.
David Altheer 041019
* To see the nominations, press this link.
* Picture © DavidAltheer [at] gmail.com, and for sale for reproduction. Bigger format versions usually available. Burger pic supplied
* Emboldened underscored words in most cases indicate a hyperlink, a reader service rare among websites, but no endorsement. If a link does not work, it is probably because the site to which the URL refers has not been maintained.